News & Tips•Sept. 21, 2023, 6:12 p.m. • 28
Way Too Early Predictions for the 2024 Olympic Trials
It was just announced that the 2024 US Olympic Trials will be held in Eugene, Oregon at Hayward Field (huge surprise) in June of 2024.
Trials are in Eugene? Crazy never would have guessed— Gus (@Angus_Thots) September 21, 2023
Because the 2023 track season has come to a close and we've got a couple weeks of downtime before fall marathon szn, I wanted to look ahead to the 2024 trials. Because of time (I'm going to run a workout in a minute, follow my training on YouTube) here are some haphazard thoughts in no particular order:
- The 2016 Olympic Team has a resurgence with Emma Coburn, Matthew Centrowitz Jr. and Paul Chelimo all making another US team in their respective events (3k SC, 1500m, and 5k).
- Women's 3k steeple will be the deepest final and most unpredictable finishing order.
- Nobody on the 2023 US World Champ marathon team will make the 2024 US Olympic marathon team (W: D'Amato, Sullivan, Flanagan / M: Kibet, Panning, Montanez)
Abdihamid Nur is going to win the Mens' 5k
This is definitely not just because of this sick video of Abdi wearing a Trackster shirt while running and swaggin to Drizzy.
- Elly Henes is going to win the Women's 5k
- Surprise contenders: Ben Eidenschink in the 10k, Sky Webb in the 1500m, Fiona O'keefe in the 10k
- Elle Purrier St. Pierre is going to have her best year ever and lead the women's 1500m team, shout out mom strength.
- OAC will have higher final team score than Bowerman
My BC teammate, friend, coach of Delbarton Green Wave HS, founder of RRTC, and all-time hoss - Jack O'Reilly - had a great take: A collegian will make the men's 1500m after the last 3 finals have seen a college kid make the top 3.
- 2023 Joe Waskom, Washington, 2nd
- 2022 Jon Davis, Illinois, 2nd
- 2021 Cole Hocker, Oregon, 1st
Make sure you chirp me via social media and follow me on Trackster.